Doctor Who is well known for its stunning visuals, with historical adventures and alien planets, and a lot of what makes these settings so believable is the costumes.
The latest Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition takes a closer look at the impressive costume design over the show’s history, with rare illustrations showing how the costumes evolve from sketch to screen.
The magazine also features interviews with notable designers including:
- Lee Bender (owner of the Bus Stop boutique, which supplied outfits for Sarah Jane Smith)
- Howard Burden (designer of the Twelfth Doctor’s costume)
- Ray Holman (designer of the Eleventh and Thirteenth Doctor’s costumes, and Doctor Who’s current costume designer)
- June Hudson (designer of the Fourth Doctor’s final outfit and numerous costumes for Romana)
- Barbara Lane (The Claws of Axos, The Dæmons, The Curse of Peladon etc)
- Amy Roberts (Image of the Fendahl, Full Circle, The Keeper of Traken etc)
- Alexandra Tynan (The Tenth Planet, The Highlanders, The Evil of the Daleks etc)
- Lucinda Wright (designer of Christopher Eccleston’s series as the Ninth Doctor)
Several actors from the show also reminisce about some of their costumes, including: Sophie Aldred (Ace), Camille Coduri (Jackie Tyler), Katy Manning (Jo Grant), Catrin Stewart (Jenny Flint) and Anneke Wills (Polly).
Editor Marcus Hearn says of the edition:
I don’t think there’s ever been such a detailed and comprehensive look at the series’ costume design. Much of the new research for this issue was led by Piers Britton, who has an unrivalled knowledge of the subject and the kind of insight that makes you look at familiar episodes in a whole new light. Dr Britton looms large in this issue, but the whole team has done a fantastic job – other highlights include a rarely seen interview with the late Colin Lavers, who designed the Fifth Doctor’s costume, and a new interview with Barbara Lane. This is the first time Barbara has spoken about her work on the series since the mid-1970s, so we were delighted when we tracked her down. We’ve uncovered so much new information and so many fantastic images – we can’t wait to share it all with everyone!
Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition: Costume Design is on sale now for £5.99 (UK).