The Bells of Saint John
Earth, 2013. A whole world swimming in Wi-Fi. A Wi-Fi soup! Suppose something got inside it. Suppose there was something living in the Wi-Fi, harvesting human minds. Something that loves and cares for humanity so much that it can’t get enough of it…
- Steven Moffat: “If something did get in Wi-Fi, we’d be kind of screwed. It’s time to make kids frightened of Wi-Fi!”
- It’s set entirely in London.
- References to the 2011 UK riots, the Shard, the 2074 Anti-Grav Olympics and the police box at Earl’s Court.
- Set pieces include an ‘improbable motorbike stunt’, the Doctor riding a motorbike over Westminster Bridge and the Doctor and Clara flying a plane over London.
- There are three Claras: Oswin, Victorian Clara and the 2013 Clara. They’re”each the same person for reasons that will become evident. Each is an emphasis on a different bit: one’s the computer genius, one’s the nanny… but the strands are fundamentally the same”
- Clara’s mystery is a lighter story arc than the arc of Series 6.
- The Doctor: “I don’t know who Clara is. I don’t understand her. I met her three times. Twice she died. The same woman, three times. Not possible.”
- The Doctor: “You’re a nanny, Isn’t that a bit… Victorian?” Clara: “Victorian?” The Doctor: “Well you’re young. Shouldn’t you be doing, you know… young things? With young people? Clara: “What you mean like you, for instance? Down boy!”
- Episode two, penned by Neil Cross, will be “as big, and grand, and running-round-y, and alien as possible. A really, properly alien planet”
- The Ice Warriors are ‘intimidating and powerful’, and will respect the source material to a point.
- The opening shot of episode four, also penned by Neil Cross, involves Jessica Raine’s character, Emma Grayling talking to something, hinted to be a ghost, and then disappearing into a dark room.
- Neil Gaiman’s Cybermen episode sets out to scare and evoke an emotional reaction to the Cyberman, similar to his first experiences of the monsters in The Moonbase.
- There will be “a certain villain popping up again, but really I couldn’t tell you who”