The BBC recently began releasing seasons of classic Doctor Who on Blu-ray as part of ‘The Collection’ with Season 12, which featured Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor’s first season released with a slew of bonus features on high definition disc.
If you’re looking for more classic Who on Blu-ray, you won’t have to wait long, as the BBC have announced the remastered release of Season 19 as the next entry in The Collection.
Season 19 was the first season to star Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor, and includes serials Castrovalva, Four to Doomsday, Kinda, The Visitation, Black Orchid, Earthshock and Time-Flight.
The release consists of eight discs, which includes plenty of brand new bonus features, alongside those included on past releases of the serials:
- Five new ‘Making-Of’ documentaries for Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday, Black Orchid, Earthshock, and Time-Flight;
- Surround sound mixes for Kinda and Earthshock;
- An Extended Version of Black Orchid: Part One;
- Rare studio footage from Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday, Earthshock, and Time-Flight;
- Updated special effects for Castrovalva;
- Seven more editions of Behind The Sofa;
- A newly-shot one-hour interview, Peter Davison In Conversation with Matthew Sweet;
- The Peter Davison/David Tennant Childen in Need special, Time Crash.
The BBC have also released a sneak peek from the disc, featuring a special ‘announcement’ from Janet Fielding, who played companion Tegan:
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 19 will be released on 19th November in the UK, and can be pre-ordered from Amazon in the UK here.
[Source: The Doctor Who Companion]