The episode had an impressive 11.14 million viewers after a week of recording – a massive rise of almost three million on the overnight viewing figure of 8.29 million and the highest rating Christmas Special since 2010! That makes The Time of the Doctor the fifth most viewed Christmas Special out of nine, and Matt Smith’s second most viewed Christmas Special.
The leaderboard for the ratings of the Christmas Specials are as follows:
- Voyage of the Damned (2007) – final rating of 13.31 million
- The Next Doctor (2008) – final rating of 13.10 million
- A Christmas Carol (2010) – final rating of 12.11 million
- The End of Time – Part 1 (2009) – final rating of 12.04 million
- The Time of the Doctor (2013) – final rating of 11.14 million
- The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe (2011) – final rating of 10.77 million
- The Snowmen (2012) – final rating of 9.87 million
- The Christmas Invasion (2005) – final rating of 9.84 million
- The Runaway Bride (2006) – final rating of 9.35 million
The episode’s chart placing in the Christmas week will be revealed on Monday – but the rating puts it second for Christmas Day, behind Mrs Brown’s Boys. The figure doesn’t include those watching iPlayer online (thought it does include people watching iPlayer through a TV) – as usual, Doctor Who was number one for 48 hours.